Mark David Richards
Council Period 12
Council Period 13
Council Period 14
Government and People
Anacostia Waterfront Corporation
Boards and Com
Chief Financial Officer
Chief Management Officer
Elections and Ethics
Housing and Community Dev.
Capital Revitalization Corp.
Planning and Econ. Dev.
Planning, Office of
Public Service Commission
Regional Mobility Panel
Sports and Entertainment Com.
University of DC
Water and Sewer Administration
Youth Rehabilitation Services
Issues in DC Politics
DC General, PBC
Public Benefit Corporation
Tax Rev Comm
Term limits repeal
Voting rights, statehood
Williams’s Fundraising Scandals
Cardozo Shaw Neigh.Assoc.
Committee of 100
Fed of Citizens Assocs
League of Women Voters
What Is DCWatch?
|Government of the District of Columbia
Executive Office of the Mayor
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
June 4, 2007
| CONTACT: Carrie Brooks
Management Consultants to Begin Work to Improve DCPS
Mayor Adrian Fenty, Board of Education President
Robert Bobb, Deputy Mayor Victor Reinoso, DCPS Superintendent
Clifford Janey, June 4, 2007
Today, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty announced with school officials the next steps in the implementation of the Mayor’s Education Reform Plan. Two consulting firms will begin work today to begin a review of the DC Public Schools’ finances and operations to identify waste and inefficiencies. The two firms are Alvarez and Marsal and McKinsey and Company. The cost for the scope of work will be covered by donations and grants from private foundations and is estimated to total $3.34 million.
Alvarez and Marsal
Alvarez and Marsal will complete a thorough review of DCPS finances and spending patterns and practices and to create a financial plan that maximizes the flow of funds into the classroom. The firm’s work includes:
- A review of all individual school budgets and overall DCPS budget
- Identifying patterns of inequity or inefficiency at a district-wide level and offering proposed solutions to the problems
- Analysis of past spending patterns and practices, tracking and accounting systems
- Analysis of Medicaid reimbursements for special education services with the goal of recapturing funds
- Creation of a financial model to support the implementation of the DCPS Master Education plan
- Submitting recommendations to restructure the budget to maximize the funds reaching the classroom.
McKinsey and Company
McKinsey and Company will provide research and analysis services that will allow the development of recommendations for improvements in the operational functions of DCPS. The firm’s work will include:
- Developing solutions and methods for tracking DCPS initiatives
- Creating teams of DCPS staff to implement initiatives to achieve goals
- Creating a Project Management Office to be run by DCPS to track DCPS initiatives and offer support to the teams implementing the initiatives
- Developing a business plan for creating a special education pilot program in DCPS
- Creating a short- and long-term roadmap for implementing DCPS goals including best-practices models